Monday, January 16, 2017

Creating A Genius Hour Project

Tonight in our tech class we were asked to research Genius Hour. After looking at YouTube videos and different websites I became inspired to think of a question for my own Genius Hour project. It can be very overwhelming trying to think of one thing you are passionate about or one thing that you want to explore deeper. I was bombarded with many ideas having to do with my personal interests as well as things I am interested in relation to education. Then I thought why not explore something that I am personally interested in and that relates to education!?

So, for my Genius Hour I will be looking into answering the question: How can I incorporate yoga into my everyday classroom routine?

In the last few years I have fallen in love with yoga. I practiced Moksha Hot Yoga and really enjoyed the different types of classes that were offered (flow, stretch and unwind or with music) and how relaxed and refreshed I felt after each class. Not only is yoga physically demanding, requiring balance, breathing and coordination, it is also mentally demanding. I found the teachers challenging me to forget about my life outside of the studio and focus on the moment I was experiencing in the class. Allowing myself to let go of the stress or worries I had about my day really helped me to enjoy my yoga practice even more. When I was done my class I found myself ready to conquer the rest of my day with a positive attitude.

Caitlin Boyle. September 23, 2015. Retrieved from http://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/yoga-for-kids#3


I think the benefits of yoga and meditation are so great that I want to incorporate it into my classroom routine. Yoga is a part of the new Physical Education and Health curriculum but I don't think yoga and meditation only have to be used in Physical Education class. I want to incorporate even small amounts of yoga into my classroom everyday. I believe that this will help my students learn how to regulate themselves and give them a chance to relax and refresh during the day to help them keep going.

I hope that through my Genius Hour exploration I will be able to find practical ways to use yoga in my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment